The End of ED Overcrowding?
- At US hospitals, approximately 2 percent of ED patients leave without treatment (LWOT)
- On average, hospitals endure eight diversion hours each day.
- Just by eliminating LWOT and diversion hours, the average hospital could bring in an additional $5 million per year.
Studies have shown that overcrowding in Emergency Departments just continues to get worse. That’s why it’s more important than ever for ED’s nationwide to tackle inefficiency head on. VIZZIA‘s ED Workflow Improvement system helps hospitals streamline patient throughput and significantly reduce LWOT and diversion hours.
Efficiency. Quality. Care.
VIZZIA utilizes real-time location systems (RTLS) to help hospitals streamline ED patient throughput. By gathering data about staff workflow and key patient/clinician interactions, VIZZIA can identify logjams and work with hospital managers to adjust processes accordingly. Benefits of RTLS in ED workflow improvement include:
- Reduce incidence of left-without-treatment (LWOT)
- Reduce average patient length-of-stay
- Decrease diversion hours
- Improve staff safety with automatic log of patient interactions
- Increase ED patient satisfaction
- Substantially decrease patient wait times
How RTLS Works for Patient Throughput
VIZZIA offers a variety of technology options, each of which provides unique benefits for different facilities’ needs. Each system employs a different tracking mechanism, but all RTLS infrastructures function similarly. VIZZIA only recommends RTLS systems for use in ED workflow improvement; only real-time visibility will allow you to capture adequate data.
- Network devices are installed on ceilings throughout the hospital. Each device is assigned a location code.
- Every staffer who comes in contact with patients is assigned a small I.D. tag that contains a unique identification code. Each patient who checks into the E.D. also receives an I.D. tag.
- (A) Staff/patient tags trade information with location devices (utilizing triangulation, infrared, ultrasound, etc.) to learn each tag’s unique location.
- (B) Each tag’s unique location and identification number transmits to network devices.
- At the beginning and end of a patient/staffer interaction, the staffer pushes a designated button on both I.D. badges to alert the network that an interaction is taking place.
- (C) Information (including the length of every interaction and the length of patient wait times along the way) is transmitted over the network to a server (D) and then over the Internet (E) to VIZZIA’s advanced mapping and analytics software, where E.D. managers, nurses and other relevant staffers can view patient, workflow and interaction data.
- Users can also search for specific events and run detailed location-, patient-, staffer- and interaction-based statistical reports.
- VIZZIA analyzes the data, identifies logjams and determines the best possible solution for each efficiency-related problem.
Optimize Your ROI
Beyond providing the hardware and software infrastructure through which a hospital’s RTLS system operates, VIZZIA also offers advanced analytics, consulting, deployments, change management and business process outsourcing. Why? Because at VIZZIA we know that technology alone can’t solve problems. It’s our goal to empower our customers with the tools they need to make the most out of their RTLS investment. Learn more about “The VIZZIA Difference” in the Consulting Services section.