The VIZZIA Difference
At VIZZIA, we don’t just provide industry-leading tracking technology. Why? Because we know that technology alone can’t solve problems. VIZZIA is a full-service solution:
- We are TECHNOLOGY AGNOSTIC: that is, we partner with the leading manufacturers and software developers in the industry to bring you a wide range of options. VIZZIA then works with hospital customers to identify their needs, analyze technology options and select the tracking-technology solution that’s right for them.
- We help you achieve THE BIGGEST ROI BANG FOR YOUR INVESTMENT BUCK: Technology may provide you with valuable data, but it’s what you do with that data that determines your ROI. Hospitals’ main focus is patient care — and rightly so. But any large organization can benefit from advanced data analytics (including our proprietary “AZ Model” for asset management), business-rules management, process improvements and enhanced efficiency. At VIZZIA, we are experts in consulting hospitals through these changes.
- Once we help you decide on a system, WE DEPLOY IT FOR YOU. At VIZZIA, we don’t just ship you a bunch of devices and wish you luck. VIZZIA is one of the only companies to offer start-to-finish deployments, including software integration and the establishment of system rules. Don’t waste time and money learning, installing, testing and integrating a new system when VIZZIA can do it for you in less than half the time.
- We offer business process outsourcing. Our hospital customers have saved thousands of dollars by outsourcing equipment distribution and/or biomedical engineering services to VIZZIA. With our proprietary analytics and proven Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s), we streamline operations and benefit your bottom line.
- At VIZZIA, we also offer custom consulting projects. Call us today to find out how our expertise can drive positive change your hospital.
The marketplace is overrun with manufacturers whose tracking systems can determine the location of medical equipment and people as they move through a hospital. But surprisingly few companies or healthcare organizations have the process technology expertise needed to utilize the location information generated by these systems.
VIZZIA‘s proprietary AZ ModelSM is the foundation for process analysis. It is designed to improve the distribution of movable medical equipment (MME) in hospitals.
The AZ ModelSM for asset management follows the basic principles of inventory management used in assembly plants everywhere. “Buffer stocks” of equipment are strategically placed in key areas of the hospital to supply the demand of specific clinical teams. These stocks are sized based on the measurement and forecasting of flows (consumption) for different times of the day, days of the week, and months of the year. Stock replenishment is performed on a scheduled basis and the frequency of replenishment deliveries is determined for each buffer stock based on a number of operational parameters.
VIZZIA‘s web-based VIZZIONSM software application calculates and tracks stocks and flows for each equipment type and generates Key Performance Indicator (KPI) reports that are used for operational decisions and process improvement.
An example of a simple but very useful KPI is what we define as the “stock coverage ratio,” B/(v+p). It indicates how long the current level of ready-to-use equipment can supply the demand at current consumption rates for each type of equipment in a particular buffer stock location.
VIZZIA uses a multitude of similar parameters to analyze how the process is working and to determine what adjustments should be made, always with the goal to increase:
- asset utilization
- labor productivity
- service levels
Process optimization requires a disciplined effort. At VIZZIA we believe that you can’t optimize what you can’t structure and measure. That’s why we always start with a process assessment.
We assess business processes in a hospital with the same discipline and advanced process tools normally applied to manufacturing processes. Only after a process is formally structured is it possible to properly analyze it, simplify it, integrate it, automate it and, ultimately, optimize it.
VIZZIA has developed a robust methodology to map, parameterize, benchmark and analyze business processes — and to design process improvements. Our work is always aimed at producing tangible business results. Our consulting team has extensive experience in the analysis and optimization of processes in healthcare. Our recommendations are always practical and solid, both technically and financially.
Business Rules Engines
Business rules exist for every organization, whether or not they are ever written down, talked about or even part of the organization’s consciousness.
In a healthcare organization, a business rule might state for example that infusion pumps must be brought to Biomedical Engineering 15 days before their preventive maintenance due date. Others could define patients in terms of their insurance coverage, or list preferred suppliers for certain materials. Business rules may come from JCAHO regulations, patient safety policies and various other sources.
A Business Rules Engine (BRE) is a software application that helps compile, manage and automate business rules. A key advantage of a business rules engine from an IT architectural standpoint is that it separates the business rules, which tend to change more frequently, from the application code. This allows the business users to modify the rules frequently without the need of IT intervention.
Hospitals are prime candidates for the use of business rules engines because of the high frequency of changes to decision-making logic due to changing government regulations and insurance procedures.
Many hospitals have been reluctant to adopt business rules engine technology because of the apparent complexity of compiling and organizing their business rules, and also because of the apparent difficulty in integrating a business rules engine into existing software platforms.
VIZZIA works closely with its hospital customers to eliminate these concerns. We use our process assessment and optimization expertise to help hospitals compile and structure the business rules that are applicable to any target process. We then develop a business rules engine-based solution using state-of-the-art software from our technology partners and integrate it seamlessly into the hospital’s existing transactional platform.
Hospital administrators can then author and manage business rules using a user-friendly interface, behind which runs a powerful engine designed for complexity and performance.