The Issue of Idling Assets
- At any given moment, the average hospital only utilizes about 40 percent of its equipment fleet, leaving hundreds of infusion pumps, epidurals, SCD’s and other expensive assets to sit idling.*
- The average nurse spends 21 minutes per shift searching for misplaced equipment.*
- Each year, between five and 15 percent of a hospital’s equipment fleet disappears due to loss or theft, resulting in costly annual reinvestment.**
In total, hospitals often bleed millions of dollars each year to keep track of their moveable medical equipment (MME). In an era of skyrocketing medical costs and industry-wide budget cuts, this simply won’t do.
20/20 Asset Visibility
VIZZIA’s real-time location systems (RTLS) and passive RFID solutions allow hospitals to cut costs dramatically, resulting in a substantial ROI. VIZZIA customers have seen utilization rates rise by more than 20 percent almost immediately. They’ve avoided costly investments in new fleets because existing equipment no longer disappears. Here are some additional benefits of RTLS in asset management:
- Reduce rental costs
- Significantly reduce time spent searching for equipment in order to perform preventive maintenance
- Decrease or eliminate incidence of lost/stolen equipment
- Alert staff when high-value assets leave a designated area or exit the hospital
- Instantly locate equipment in the event of a product recall
- Easily analyze department needs and set data-proven PAR levels
- Ensure consistent availability of equipment
- Increase nurse satisfaction
- Reduce cross-contamination
How Does RTLS Work for Asset Management?
VIZZIA offers a variety of technology options, each of which provides unique benefits for different facilities’ asset-management needs. Each system employs a different tracking mechanism, but all RTLS infrastructures function similarly. (Passive RFID systems, however, operate differently.)
- Network devices are installed on ceilings throughout the hospital. Each device is assigned a location code.
- Each piece of equipment that requires tracking is outfitted with a small tag that contains a unique identification code.
- (A) Asset tags trade information with location devices (utilizing triangulation, infrared, ultrasound, etc.) to learn each tag’s unique location.
- (B) Each tag’s unique location and identification number transmits to network devices.
- (C) Information is transmitted over the network to a server (D) and then over the Internet (E) to VIZZIA’s advanced mapping and analytics software, where equipment distribution team members, biomed technicians, nurses and other relevant staffers can view the real-time location of each asset as it travels through the hospital.
- Users can also search for specific devices and run detailed location and event reports.
Optimize Your ROI
Beyond providing the hardware and software infrastructure through which a hospital’s asset-tracking system operates, VIZZIA also offers advanced analytics, consulting, deployments, change management and business process outsourcing. Why? Because at VIZZIA we know that technology alone can’t solve problems. It’s our goal to empower our customers with the tools they need to make the most out of their RTLS investment. Learn more about “The VIZZIA Difference” in the Consulting Services section.